The Associated Press’ Huizhong Wu reports that at least 23 people have been detained following protests across Inner Mongolia against recently announced language education reforms. The new policies would gradually replace...
by Josh Rudolph | Sep 22, 2014
The South China Morning Post reports that, amid an ongoing drive to promote the use of...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 9, 2010
The Los Angeles Times reports on the current tensions over Mandarin vs. Cantonese use in Guangzhou: For years Cantonese speakers in southern China have complained that local culture is being eroded under orders from Beijing,...
by Sophie Beach | Jul 25, 2010
The Guardian reports: Up to a thousand protesters gathered in the centre of Guangzhou shouting slogans, before police dispersed them peacefully. A witness said most were in their twenties, although some were middle-aged. The...
by Mo Ming | Jan 2, 2007
The Daisann blog dissects storied Apple Daily political columnist Mr. Lee “Eight Directions”: Today’s Apple Daily adds a devilish bit of gossip that I missed at yesterday’s protest event It seems that when Alan Leong arrived at the LSD demo, dear Mr. Long Hair offered the fellow a choice between riding in the wheelchair or […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods