The Associated Press’ Huizhong Wu reports that at least 23 people have been detained following protests across Inner Mongolia against recently announced language education reforms. The new policies would gradually replace...
by Josh Rudolph | Sep 22, 2014
The South China Morning Post reports that, amid an ongoing drive to promote the use of...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 9, 2010
The Los Angeles Times reports on the current tensions over Mandarin vs. Cantonese use in Guangzhou: For years Cantonese speakers in southern China have complained that local culture is being eroded under orders from Beijing,...
by Sophie Beach | Jul 25, 2010
The Guardian reports: Up to a thousand protesters gathered in the centre of Guangzhou shouting slogans, before police dispersed them peacefully. A witness said most were in their twenties, although some were middle-aged. The...
by Mo Ming | Jan 2, 2007
The Daisann blog dissects storied Apple Daily political columnist Mr. Lee “Eight Directions”: Today’s Apple Daily adds a devilish bit of gossip that I missed at yesterday’s protest event It seems that when Alan Leong arrived at the LSD demo, dear Mr. Long Hair offered the fellow a choice between riding in the wheelchair or […]
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms