The New York Times’ Adam Nossiter reports that China is encountering resistance to oil deals...
Jun 25, 2008
According to Jan Eliasson, the UN Secretary-General’s Special Envoy to the Darfur region, negotiations aimed at ending the conflict in the Darfur region of Sudan have stalled and neither the Sudanese government nor the rebel...
Feb 23, 2008
Mother Jones magazine travels with Chadian rebels in Sudan and explores where all their guns come from: …I saw the gun again the following day as I sat in the inner sanctum of the rebel leadership, lounging on a faux...
Feb 3, 2008
From AP: China has evacuated most of its citizens from Chad after an outbreak of violence in the country’s capital, the Foreign Ministry said Sunday. Hundreds of rebels charged into the capital N’Djamena and clashed...
Aug 12, 2007
One of many impoverished and debt-ridden African countries that are now attracting Chinese businessmen, Chad is hoping that Chinese investments its oil fields will benefit the economy, instead of corrupt officials. From the New York Times: Chad is as geographically isolated as places come in Africa. It is also among the continent’s poorest and least […]
Jun 8, 2007
From the International Herald Tribune, Howard French, the current Shanghai bureau chief for the New York Times who used to report from Africa, writes about how China is overtaking France as the colonial power in much of Africa: There was a time, not long ago, when virtually every car on the street in France’s cloistered […]
Aug 8, 2006
From the New York Times: Taiwan’s foreign minister warned Monday that Beijing’s establishment of diplomatic relations over the weekend with Chad, one of Taiwan’s few remaining allies, would hurt relations across the Taiwan Strait. Foreign Minister James Huang of Taiwan said the switch in diplomatic relations followed two months of secret meetings between Chadian and […]
CDT in the News
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?
- RFA – Guangdong officials ban Model United Nations over federalism debate
- BBC – Chinese grieve popular ex-premier Li Keqiang in quiet show of dissent
- Le Monde – En Chine, l’hommage très contrôlé à l’ex-premier ministre Li Keqiang, « dernier dirigeant de l’ère des réformes »