Asahi Shimbun’s Nozomi Hayashi reports that both supporters and critics of fallen Chongqing...
by Cindy | Jun 14, 2013
The death of Chen Xitong, the former mayor of Beijing who presided over the 1989 June 4th crackdown and was later jailed for corruption, prompted no official condolences and little public mourning. Chen’s funeral this week...
by Samuel Wade | Jun 5, 2013
Former mayor of Beijing Chen Xitong died on Sunday morning, but news of his death did not emerge until two days later, on the 24th anniversary of the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown which he oversaw. From South China Morning Post: Chen...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 28, 2012
Together with the long-awaited announcement of a start date for the 18th Party Congress, Xinhua revealed on Friday that Bo Xilai has been expelled from the Party and will now face criminal prosecution: Investigations found that...
by Xiao Qiang | Jul 25, 2006
From AP, via seattlepi.nwsource.com: Former Beijing Mayor Chen Xitong, the highest-ranking Communist Party figure to be jailed for corruption, has been released on medical parole after serving eight years of his sentence, a Hong Kong newspaper reported Monday. Chen, once one of China’s most powerful men as a member of the party’s ruling Politburo, was […]
CDT in the News
- FT – Chinese city suffers food shortages during Covid-19 lockdown
- Mind Matters – Lawyer Turned Citizen Journalist in China Turns Up Again—in Jail
- DW – Where is Jack Ma? The mainstream media keep slience
- FT – Beijing orders Chinese media to censor coverage of Alibaba probe
- China Heritage – China’s Virus of Lies in 2020