Anyone who has boarded an airplane in the last 20 years knows what stands between arrival at the terminal and waiting at the gate: shoes off, laptops out, water bottles emptied …. In China, similar checkpoints also await railway...
by Xiao Qiang | Apr 29, 2008
From AP: China rebounded quickly from its deadliest train accident in a decade, announcing that speeding was to blame for the collision that killed at least 70 people and reopening the railway after little more than a day....
by Kate Zhao | Dec 3, 2007
From BBC News: Shares in China’s state-owned railway builder made a strong debut in Shanghai – calming fears after weak debuts by other Chinese companies. China Railway stocks surged 68.54% after a flotation which raised about 22.4bn yuan (¬£1.5bn) for the firm. There had been some worries about its debut after the truck maker Sinotruk’s […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods