Early this month in Changzhou, Jiangsu, a fifth-grade girl committed suicide at school, stirring a debate about the ethics of pushing political ideology on schoolchildren. The girl, ten-year-old Miao Kexin, is shown on school...
elementary school students
by dwang | Jun 11, 2009
Theresa Tang and Kelvin Wong report for Bloomberg: Hong Kong will suspend classes at all primary schools, kindergartens and childcare centers for 14 days starting tomorrow after a confirmed cluster of swine flu cases, Chief...
by Sophia Cao | Jun 17, 2006
From China News: Henan Province‘s Zhengzhou City has a “Red” elementary school, which requires the student to recite “Chairman Mao’s Quotations“, to stand guard with the red tassel gun, and to plant farm crops like sunflowers and corns within the school. However, this proud Headmaster met with intense opposition from the outside world. Protestors said […]
by Michael Zhao | Mar 29, 2006
From the Beijing Star Daily, via sina.com (in Chinese), translated by CDT (link): Three elementary school students were punished to take off their pants for failing to finish their homework the day earlier in Wuchuan City, Guangdong Province. The teacher, Ms. Chen, discovered three of her students didn’t finish their homework, and asked them to […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China