China’s nearly 300 million students will be studying “Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era” this coming school year, according to guidelines published by the Ministry of...
elementary school students
Jun 24, 2020
Early this month in Changzhou, Jiangsu, a fifth-grade girl committed suicide at school, stirring a debate about the ethics of pushing political ideology on schoolchildren. The girl, ten-year-old Miao Kexin, is shown on school...
Aug 27, 2019
The emerging use of artificial intelligence-aided analysis in public school classrooms has raised...
Sep 30, 2013
No “very close relationships” between students of the same sex? A 50cm minimum...
Apr 26, 2013
Jiayang Fan, a rural-born Chinese girl who later left China for the United States, tells her life story as a girl in rural China under the one-child policy . From the New Yorker: In my kindergarten class of only children, we...
Oct 4, 2012
As China is still trying to recover from several recent natural disasters, the BBC reports that a landslide in Yunnan Province buried a school and two other houses: Nineteen people, 18 of them children, were buried when the...
Jun 11, 2009
Theresa Tang and Kelvin Wong report for Bloomberg: Hong Kong will suspend classes at all primary schools, kindergartens and childcare centers for 14 days starting tomorrow after a confirmed cluster of swine flu cases, Chief...
Jun 17, 2006
From China News: Henan Province‘s Zhengzhou City has a “Red” elementary school, which requires the student to recite “Chairman Mao’s Quotations“, to stand guard with the red tassel gun, and to plant farm crops like sunflowers and corns within the school. However, this proud Headmaster met with intense opposition from the outside world. Protestors said […]
Mar 29, 2006
From the Beijing Star Daily, via sina.com (in Chinese), translated by CDT (link): Three elementary school students were punished to take off their pants for failing to finish their homework the day earlier in Wuchuan City, Guangdong Province. The teacher, Ms. Chen, discovered three of her students didn’t finish their homework, and asked them to […]
CDT in the News
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?