A group of students under the impression they had discovered a WeChat “bug” that hides the phrase “200 jin of dumplings” (roughly 220 pounds) had in fact stumbled upon an obscure insult for Xi Jinping that triggers automatic...
Sep 9, 2021
Chinese internet users have just scored a rare win against censorship. On September 3, the swear word shǎbī 傻逼, politely translated as “dumbass,” was banned from Baidu’s messaging forum Tieba. In the aughts, a mythical creature...
CDT in the News
- NPHR – Chinese authorities remain committed to ‘zero COVID’ lockdown policy
- SupChina – 50 days in Shanghai lockdown
- Rest of World – In China, fleeting “cyber protests” leave behind fragile memories
- The Diplomat – China’s Censors Aim to Contain Dissent During Harsh COVID-19 Lockdowns
- The Washington Post – China shuts down talk of covid hardship; users strike back