One animal more equal than others; Li Wenliang’s Wailing Wall; June 4 and Hong Kong; sexual assault and power; nationalism and fake news Welcome back to CDT’s usually weekly updates, also available as an email newsletter via...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jun 16, 2021
In recent years, WeChat has increasingly been used as a distribution platform for “fake news” on a variety of topics including elections in the U.S. and Australia and COVID-19. On June 6, the WeChat public account @新岭南观察 (New...
by Josh Rudolph | Oct 7, 2020
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Notice from the Cyberspace Administration of China: U.S. President Donald Trump has tested positive...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 3, 2019
The Financial Times’ Edward White reports on plans to ban Chinese-owned video streaming...
by Samuel Wade | Mar 28, 2017
At South China Morning Post, Eva Li reports that authorities in Chongqing have released details of...
by Grace | Jul 4, 2016
Reuters’ Ben Blanchard reports that the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) is once...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods