Earlier this week, screenshots of “Ten Questions” about China’s pandemic policy began making the rounds on the Chinese internet and social media, attracting a great deal of interest and commentary. Those screenshots have now...
Dec 19, 2012
The following example of censorship instructions, issued to the media and/or Internet companies by...
Aug 28, 2012
For the latest instalment in his CDT series, cartoonist Crazy Crab of Hexie Farm depicts a naked king performing the “Song of Harmony,” yet at end of the big note is the scythe of the grim reaper. The image of the...
Apr 18, 2012
The promotion of “social stability” is one of the core tenets of Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao’s...
Mar 21, 2012
Editor’s Note: The Word of the Week comes from China Digital Space’s Grass-Mud Horse Lexicon, a...
Nov 8, 2008
The trend in Chinese ideology is going back to harmony (和谐) as a “universal value.” The term “harmonious society” (和谐社会) has been used before by Hu Jintao. As discussed in the fifth annual Beijing Forum...
Mar 23, 2005
From People’s Daily Online’: Building a socialist harmonious society is an important strategy for carrying out a scientific concept of development, only by promoting development and deepening reforms is it possible to solve the many contradictions and problems existing in China’s structural transformation period, to better harmonize multi-faceted interest relations and safeguard social harmony, progress […]
CDT in the News
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos
- The Guardian – Chinese state media censors itself after highlighting poem about corrupt leaders
- ASPI Daily Tech and Cyber Digest – Meta’s ‘biggest single takedown’ removes Chinese influence campaign | Japan’s cyber security agency suffers months-long breach | FBI, partners dismantle Qakbot infrastructure
- Atlantic Council – Chinese discourse power: Capabilities and impact
- VOA – Chinese Social Media Platforms Fail to Control Racism Against Black People: Report