At TIME, Ye Ming profiles Liu Tao (刘涛), a Hefei, Anhui-based photographer whose playful yet...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 9, 2012
Bo Xilai’s wife Gu Kailai and family aide Zhang Xiaojun stood trial for the murder of Neil Heywood on Thursday. The proceedings lasted only seven hours, and no verdict or sentence has yet been announced. From John Ruwitch...
by Kate Zhao | Dec 2, 2007
From Radio Free Asia: Thousands of military academy students in central China’s Anhui province are rioting after news spread that the government wouldn’t recognize diplomas awarded to the fee-paying students. “It was total chaos. Many people were beaten and were bleeding. The school buildings are a mess,” one student, surnamed Peng, told RFA’s Mandarin service. […]
by Xiao Qiang | Nov 30, 2007
From Chronicle.com: Thousands of students at a Chinese military academy rioted this week after learning that the government would not recognize their diplomas, Radio Free Asia reported on Thursday. The students were all enrolled at the Hefei People’s Liberation Army Artillery Academy, in China’s Anhui province, but as self-financing “contract students” with no military status. […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods