Joshua Wong and Agnes Chow, two of Hong Kong’s most prominent pro-democracy activists, have been handed jail terms for illegal assembly. Wong, who has spent time in jail on three previous occasions, was sentenced to 13 and...
hong kong protests 2014
by Samuel Wade | Jul 31, 2020
Hong Kong’s government announced on Friday that September’s Legislative Council elections would be postponed for one year, confirming earlier reports and signals from establishment figures. The move was ostensibly...
by Josh Rudolph | Aug 17, 2017
Three young democracy campaigners were each given prison sentences for taking part in an...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 15, 2016
Reuters’ Venus Wu and Hera Poon report on the sentencing of three student leaders behind the 2014...
by Josh Rudolph | Apr 8, 2016
Four activists have been sentenced to jail on charges of “inciting subversion of state...
by Grace | Nov 23, 2015
On Sunday, eight supporters of Hong Kong’s democracy movement, known as “Umbrella...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods