Former journalist and anti-corruption crusader Luo Changping was detained by police on Hainan Island on October 7, a day after his personal Weibo account was deleted over a post questioning the justification for China’s...
The Historical Nihil-list: Cyberspace Administration Targets Top Ten Deviations From Approved History
by Joseph Brouwer | Aug 16, 2021
Since his ascension to the top of the Party in 2012, Xi Jinping has shown little tolerance for “historical nihilism,” a catch-all term for critical appraisals of the Party’s rise and rule. The Party made a concerted push to...
by Joseph Brouwer | Oct 22, 2020
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Cyberspace Administration of China notice: 1. Regarding livestreams of the commemorative rally for...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 29, 2016
This week, the PLA Daily newspaper fired the latest shot in an ongoing campaign against...
by Sophie Beach | Feb 12, 2013
Following North Korea’s third nuclear test, John Garnaut of the Age writes that if people in the West are expecting China to take a strong stand against the development of Pyongyang’s nuclear program, they will be...
by Samuel Wade | Nov 26, 2012
On November 15th, five brothers and cousins aged between nine and thirteen died of carbon monoxide poisoning in a Guizhou dumpster, where they had lit a fire to keep warm. Their deaths prompted a frenzy of soul searching in both...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods