The Guangdong village of Wukan won global fame and some democratic concessions in 2011 when...
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 6, 2016
Five years after protests against the official seizure of public land led to local...
by Josh Rudolph | Jun 20, 2016
In September of 2011, villagers in Wukan, Guangdong, launched an anti-corruption protest after...
by Scott Greene | Mar 3, 2012
Villagers in Wukan cast their votes Saturday to fill seats on a new village committee, only a few months after violent protests over corrupt land grabs and the death of a detained villager drove away local officials and yielded...
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms