As of January 29, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for...
by Sophie Beach | May 6, 2010
China Media Project translates an editorial by Guo Yukuan which appeared, and then disappeared from, the Southern Metropolis Daily. In the editorial, Guo questions whether Niu Gensheng, founder of Mengniu dairy corporation,...
by Priscilla Jiao | Oct 16, 2008
From AFP: Dairy products that were recalled in southern China to be tested for the deadly chemical melamine were instead dumped at universities and sold to students at a discount, state media reported Thursday. The milk products...
by Paulina Hartono | Oct 12, 2008
He Bolin of China Daily reports on the first public apology by Mengniu, Yili, and Bright Dairy for their role in the milk scandal. During a talk show program, Dialogue, broadcast last night on the economic channel of China...
by Liu Yong | Jan 15, 2008
From The Financial Times: When Pan Gang, the chief executive of one of China’s largest dairy companies, attended a top-level meeting of the Communist party in Beijing in October, he complained about the growing role of foreigners in the industry. “Many of the foreign firms are only looking for short-term gain when they come here […]
by Timothy Lesle | Dec 19, 2007
The Danone Group, a global food-and-drink company whose brand names include Dannon yogurt and Evian water, broke off a deal to partner with Mengniu Dairy Co, one of China’s largest dairy producers. As the Wall Street Journal’s James T. Areddy writes: Groupe Danone SA’s decision to abandon a planned joint venture in China to make […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods