China’s assertive efforts to dominate this international waterway is a military strategy resulting in strained relations with the United States and other nations around the world. The Diplomat reports: Beijing is...
May 5, 2008
Written by Richard D. Fisher, Jr., a senior fellow at the International Assessment and Strategy Center, from the Wall Street Journal Asia: Experts attempting to understand the strategic aims behind China’s aggressive...
May 2, 2008
According to a prominent American defense journal, China is building an underground nuclear submarine base on southern Hainan Island. From AFP: Jane’s Intelligence Review, a respected defence periodical, said satellite...
Jul 8, 2007
“Snapped the Google image showing the secret sub.” From smh.com.au: The first publicly available pictures have emerged of China’s new Jin-class nuclear-powered submarine, which is capable of firing intercontinental ballistic missiles against the US. Hans Kristensen, a nuclear weapons analyst for the Federation of American Scientists, spotted the new submarine while reviewing photos of north-eastern […]
May 24, 2007
From The Financial Times: China has surprised the Pentagon with the pace of development of a new class of submarine that threatens the nuclear balance by providing Beijing with a more robust nuclear deterrent. According to the 2007 Pentagon China military power report – details of which were obtained by the FT – the Chinese […]
CDT in the News
- Turquoise Roof – Weaponising Big Data: Decoding China’s Digital Surveillance in Tibet
- VOA – Chinese Netizens Criticize Government on US Embassy’s Weibo Post
- China Global South Project – What Do Namibian Giraffes Have To Do With the Chinese Economy? Ask Weibo
- Washington Post – As falling stocks draw criticism in China, censors struggle to keep up
- NYT – China’s Censorship Dragnet Targets Critics of the Economy