Peter Hessler was The New Yorker’s Beijing correspondent from 2000-2007, and the author of...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 21, 2015
At the New York Review of Books, Ian Johnson discusses author Peter Hessler’s enormous...
by Josh Rudolph | Sep 26, 2013
Seven years covering China for The New Yorker, along with the acclaimed books River Town, Oracle...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 7, 2010
China Beat co-sponsored a conversation between author Peter Hessler and UC Irvine HIstory professor Kenneth Pomeranz, which is now online at the Making History Podcast site. Listen to it here: This episode of the Making History...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 9, 2010
On China Beat, Peter Hessler writes about the role that photography played in his trip across China that spawned his new book, Country Driving: A Journey Through China from Farm to Factory: From my perspective, the digital...
Jonathan Yardley reviews “Country Driving: A Journey Through China from Farm to Factory” by Peter Hessler
by Sophie Beach | Feb 28, 2010
The Washington Post reviews Peter Hessler’s new book, Country Driving: A Journey Through China from Farm to Factory, starting with a section about Sancha, the village outside Beijing where he rented a house: “In the...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods