Retired Peking University sociology professor Zheng Yefu is known for his outspoken political views. In a recent essay that went viral on Chinese social media, Zheng argues that the Party’s attempts to protect and...
rich second generation
by Sophie Beach | Sep 25, 2013
Li Guanfeng (also known as Li Tianyi), the 17-year-old son of famed army singers Li Shuangjiang...
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 18, 2013
Already a member of the cohort of privileged elite adolescents that often breed disdain in China due to his past misbehavior, Li Tianyi, son of decorated PLA singer Li Shuangjiang, was arrested for suspicion of involvement in a...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 11, 2013
When a 19-year-old student from China crashed his Mercedes into a car in Washington State, killing a 25-year-old and injuring four others, the Chinese microblogging sphere took note. And when his parents arrived to pay his $2...
by Sophie Beach | Feb 22, 2013
Li Guanfeng (also known as Li Tianyi), the 17-year-old son of People’s Liberation Army general and renowned singer Li Shuangjiang, has been arrested for involvement in a gang rape. In 2011, the younger Li was arrested...
by Sandra Severdia | Mar 20, 2012
CDT staff conducted an independent test on Sina Weibo (on the 19th and 20th) and uncovered a brief list of banned search terms that are directly related to the crash:
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”