China’s State Council has unveiled a series of proposals aiming to protect the estimated 61...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 12, 2015
The deaths—by suicide, violent attack, or apparent accident—of children in rural areas have...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 17, 2014
The Wall Street Journal’s Andrew Browne examines the situation of China’s...
by Grace | Dec 31, 2013
William Wan at The Washington Post tells the story of China’s “left-behind...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 5, 2013
In 2011, photographer Liu Jie captured the division of Chinese families by labor migration in a series of portraits. Against scenic countryside backdrops, his subjects posed with empty chairs representing family members who had...
by Gao Fei | May 28, 2007
China Daily’s top story gives attention to “left-behind” rural children living under the care of grandparents, relatives, or a single parent, a result of the rural young choosing to work in cities. Related articles show special effort launched to help ‘left-behind’ children, especially to protect them against crime. Another article reports that the majority of […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods