After punishing the first healthcare workers who voiced concerns about a mysterious new virus now known as the novel coronavirus responsible for COVID-19 in December, authorities in Wuhan, Hubei province continued to act as if...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 16, 2017
Over the past two years, China has seen a proliferation of state-endorsed experiments representing...
by Samuel Wade | May 2, 2015
Dutch newspaper de Volkskrant recently reported on China’s plans for a wide-reaching...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 21, 2013
With the former flood of news about fallen Chongqing Party chief Bo Xilai slowing to a trickle, rumors have rushed in to fill the gap, even in China’s own state media. According to some of the more recent mutterings,...
by Paulina Hartono | Dec 15, 2007
The “South China Tiger” [华南虎］saga continues. Now known as “Tigergate” among Chinese netizens, this event will no doubt be one of the top media/internet stories of 2007. On December 2nd, NetEase (one of...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China