The Trump administration has imposed sanctions on China’s Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC), China’s largest and most advanced producer of semiconductor chips. Executives at China’s...
U.S. high tech exports
by Josh Rudolph | Jun 17, 2020
In 2017, experts began to warn that controversial DNA collection campaigns resembling ones targeting ethnic minorities in sensitive regions like Xinjiang and Tibet could be expected nationwide as Beijing expanded its use of...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 25, 2020
Reuters’ Karen Freifeld and Mike Stone report on continued efforts to restrict the supply of American components to Huawei, despite a series of tweets last week in which President Donald Trump spoke dismissively about the...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 10, 2015
The Wall Street Journal’s Don Clark reports that the U.S. last fall blocked the export of...
by Mo Ming | Jun 10, 2006
From Beijing Time via China Economic Net: The United States said it would revise laws to facilitate export of sensitive high technology equipment to China under a new policy designed to prevent such products from being used for military purposes. The new policy will spare the need for US exporters in critical sectors such as […]
by Mo Ming | May 23, 2006
From the Financial Times (link) The US says a planned expansion of its controls on the export of high-technology goods to China will not be a burden for US companies, and has dismissed claims that its restrictions on high-tech exports are fuelling the trade deficit with China. David McCormick, US undersecretary of commerce for industry […]
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”