In early December, President Xi Jinping declared that China had eliminated absolute poverty. His announcement was the culmination of a years-long campaign that sought to raise the annual income of every person in China’s...
by Grace | Nov 12, 2017
Wukan, once hailed as China’s “democracy village,” has become a site of intense...
by Grace | Jul 6, 2013
Al Jazeera English premiers a four-part documentary series, Wukan: After the Uprising, taking an in-depth look at the village’s experience of grassroots democracy following protests over illegal government land grabs in...
by Scott Greene | Mar 4, 2013
Police have set up a blockade around the Guangdong village of Shangpu, just 100 kilometers away from Wukan, after residents clashed with thugs they claim were sent by the local communist party chief in connection with a disputed...
by Scott Greene | Sep 20, 2012
A year after land grab protests began in the Guangdong fishing village of Wukan, and just six months after electing a new village committee in what many hailed as a new approach to dealing with social unrest in China, about 100...
by Scott Greene | Mar 3, 2012
Villagers in Wukan cast their votes Saturday to fill seats on a new village committee, only a few months after violent protests over corrupt land grabs and the death of a detained villager drove away local officials and yielded...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods