April 9, 2015 2:24 PM
2008 Sichuan earthquake Beijing bribery censorship Chen Guangcheng Chinese Dream corruption detention development Directives from the Ministry of Truth disaster relief economic development ethnic minority farmers forced demolitions Fujian government corruption Guangdong Guangzhou Henan high-level corruption house arrest hukou human rights conditions Hunan Jiangsu land rights lawyers Liaoning local officials local power Ministry of Truth online activism online public opinion peasants petitioners police poverty prostitution protests Shandong sina weibo sports suicide tourism United States urban rural divide weibo word of the week Xi Jinping
June 8, 2014 10:10 PM
The Word of the Week comes from the Grass-Mud Horse Lexicon, a glossary of terms created by Chinese netizens and encountered in online political
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. The name of the
April 7, 2015 2:34 PM
At the New York Times, Edward Wong reports that 27 people who were related to or supported a now deceased Hunan official received prison sentences
February 13, 2015 6:28 PM
- Former Police Attempt Suicide by Pesticide
- CDT Bookshelf: Dan Washburn on Golf in China
- For Some Rural Officials, Poverty Pays
- Corrupt Officials Draw Unusual Publicity
- Henan Officials Commit a Grave Error
- City Party Chief Fled with Money
- Chen Guangcheng’s Supporters Face Repri...
- Key Phrase: Fighting to Become a Peasant
- Official Sacked for Overseas Trip, with Netiz...
- The Rigged Jiangsu Public Opinion Poll
- China Police Take Away Citizens Airing Grieva...
- China Officials ‘Lost Millions’
- In Southeast China, Skepticism on Land Reform...
- Corruption in China’s Countryside
- Flap Over Fake Tiger Pix Shows Divide in Chin...
- In China, Protests Flare Over Quake Aid
- It Don’t Look Like A Red Envelope R...
- A Chinese Village Takes a Stand Against Graft...