136 Villagers Poisoned By Water in Southern China

From AP:

More than a hundred villagers in southern China have been poisoned by after drinking water apparently contaminated with arsenic, official Xinhua News Agency said Tuesday.

The residents of two villages in province began to show symptoms, including swelling in the face and eyes, vomiting and blurred eyesight, on Friday. Xinhua said 136 had been poisoned.

Medical tests found excessive amounts of arsenic in their urine, Xinhua said. The water source was likely polluted by industrial waste from a nearby metallurgy company, it said.

Open popup

Welcome back!

CDT is a non-profit media site, and we need your support. Your contribution will help us provide more translations, breaking news, and other content you love.