In partnership with the China Copyright and Media blog, CDT is adding the “Beijing Internet Instructions” series to the Censorship Vault. These directives were originally published on Canyu.org (Participate) and date from 2005 to 2007. According to Canyu, the directives were issued by the Beijing Municipal Network Propaganda Management Office and the State Council Internet management departments and provided to to Canyu by insiders. China Copyright and Media has not verified the source.
30 December 2005
(1) Websites may not play up the case of Cui Yingjie in Guizhou, for relevant information, only Xinhua copy is to be transmitted, information from other sources may not be used, do not set up special subjects, those already set up must be immediately removed, it may also not be discussed in forums. Management over forums, news trackers and blog websites must be strengthened, timely block and delete attacks, rumor fabrication, incitement and all other harmful information.
(2) Concerning the issue of litigation and compensation for the Songhua River pollution, without permission, this may not be reported on any website without exception, forums may also not discuss this, existing matters must be immediately removed. Management over forums, news trackers and other interactive columns must be strengthened, timely block and delete corresponding information.
30 December 2005
(1) All websites shall promptly make “Beijing News” into a filtering keyword for forums, news trackers and blog websites, and immediately implement this.
(2) Online public opinion management concerning the “6 December” incident in the Red Sea Bay, Shanwei, Guangdong must be further strengthened, strictly implement the spirit of the Information Office’s notices, further strengthen management over forums, blogs and individual websites, timely and firmly block and delete corresponding harmful information.
29 December 2005
Concerning the matter of today in the morning, where a man shot a home-made pistol on bus 14, do not send short messages, forums are not to report this.
Concerning the news of high-level change at the Beijing News, this is not to be reported or discussed without exception, please strictly implement this!
26 December 2005
The Independent Chinese PEN, presided over by Liu Xiaobo, recently has awarded the third “Freedom Writing Award” to Wu Si (Executive editor of the magazine “The Spring and Autumn of Yan Huang”), and awarded the “Lin Zhao Commemorative Award” to Hu Xuesong, concerning this matter, there are to be no online reports, forums are not to discuss or disseminate this, “Independent Chinese PEN,” “Freedom Writing Award” and “Lin Zhao Commemorative Award,” etc., may be made into keywords.
Concerning the matter of the associate head of a police station in Qingyuan, Guangdong being held as hostage, and being killed together with three villagers, apart from Xinhua copy, there is to be no reporting without exception, it may also not be issued in the important news section, do not set up special subjects, do not send short messages, forums are not to discuss this or spread rumors.
9 December 2005
All websites must further strengthen management over online public opinion concerning the incident in the Red Sea Bay, Shanwei, Guangdong and the mass incident at the Victory Oilfields, duty forces must be strengthened, the first contact person is to maintain 24-hour connectivity via mobile phone, guaranteeing that relevant management requirements are implemented timely and firmly; “Dongzhou” and “Victory Oilfields” are to be made into filtering keywords; all website forums and news trackers must firmly implement the system of examination first, publication second, and guarantee that all sorts of harmful information is timely blocked and deleted.
8 December 2005
Today, it has been received that articles concerning sisters of the Sacred Heart being beaten in Xi’an. Everyone seeing this content is to delete it without exception!!!
8 December 2005
Concerning the matter of a dispute arising between the Shantou Armed Police and villagers, with deaths and injuries (carelessness), this may not be reported without exception, it may not emerge in forums.
8 December 2005
Reports concerning a Master abusing a cat may no longer be published on the main page of websites and the main news page, no more surveys or crossfire-type content may be made.
8 December 2005
On the disaster at the Tangshan mine, only issue Xinhua copy, do not make large headlines, do not issue it at the top of the important news section do not publish it on the front page of websites, do not open news trackers, to not make it into a special topic. Forums are not to discuss the disaster at the Tangshan mine, corresponding commenting articles are not to be published without exception.
7 December 2005
1. The case of a vice-mayor in Jilin committing suicide is not to be reported without exception;
2. The case of the sudden incident of occupation of offices at the Victory Oilfields is not to be reported without exception;
3. Only use Xinhua copy for the case of a Central inspection group going to Jilin Chemical for investigation;
4. Only use Xinhua copy without exception for sudden incidents and natural disasters until the end of the year, do not place it in a prominent position, do not make large headlines, do not make focus pictures, do not make large titles, tracker quantities are to be strictly controlled.
1 December 2005
Concerning information on “Head Surgeon Takes Phone Call During Operation, Paralyzed Patient Claims 180,000 in Damages from the Armed Police General Hospital,” all websites are to report this no longer, do not play this matter up, close news trackers, play it down as soon as possible; the case of Li Jindou is not to appear on websites and news front pages; recently, some departments have dealt with a number of heretical organizations, not report this in any way.
The Hong Kong SAR government and the Hong Kong Chinese Liaison Office will organize a joint “Forum on Issues in the Political Development of Hong Kong” on the morning of 2 December in Shenzhen. All websites must timely transfer Xinhua copy well, and are not to use copy from any other source. They must handle this as regular news, not play this up and not set up special subjects. Management over forums, news trackers and other interactive columns must be strengthened, timely block and delete all sorts of harmful information not conform to the spirit of the Centre.
These translated directives were first posted by Rogier Creemers on China Copyright and Media on November 14, 2012 (here).