As of June 30, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
- Hotan (和田)
- Xinjiang+terror (新疆+恐怖): Chinese authorities often call violence in Xinjiang “terrorism.”
- Xinjiang+violence (新疆+暴力)
- Xinjiang+27 people dead (新疆+27人死亡): The death toll in Turpan was initially reported as 27. Now 35 people are said to have died.
- Xinjiang+(little) thief (新疆+（小）偷): The censors may be attempting to prevent interethnic conflict by blocking thee search terms. Uyghurs, a Muslim people comprising over 40% of Xinjiang’s population and the region’s titular nationality, are thought of as thieves by many Han Chinese.
- rebellion (暴动): retested
Controversy at Zhejiang University: An open letter objecting to the appointment of Lin Jianhua as president of the university has circulated online.
- Zhejiang U. professor+submit letter to superior (浙大教授+上书)
- Zhejiang University+submit letter to superior (浙江大学+上书)
More Blocked Terms:
- Emperor Xi (习帝): i.e. Xi Jinping.
- His Excellency Xi (习大人)
- Politics and Law Commission (政法委)
- zhengbian: Pinyin romanization for 政变 (coup d’état).
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words in this bilingual Google spreadsheet.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: