As of September 11, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
- Doctor [of Philosophy] Xi (习博士): The UK’s Sunday Times reported on August 11 that it had received a copy of Xi Jinping’s PhD dissertation. It appears Xi “used others to help with his thesis,” quoting liberally from government reports and translations of Marxist scholarship.
- Xi+dissertation (习＋论文)
- Liu Meixun (刘美珣): Xi’s rumored PhD adviser.
- Half-Feather (半羽): Half of the character “feather” (羽), i.e. Xi (习).
- Xi Third-Fatty (习三胖): A play on “Kim Third-Fatty” (金三胖), i.e. Kim Jong-un.
- Xi+left (习＋左): Xi is perceived as leaning politically left (i.e. towards hard-line communism) since taking office.
- Xi+new administration (习＋新政)
- Xi+commanding officer (习＋司令)
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words in this bilingual Google spreadsheet.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: