In a widely anticipated move, the National People’s Congress Standing Committee issued an...
Jul 3, 2013
As of July 2, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function). Hong Kong Protests: Thousands of pro-democracy advocates marched in Hong Kong on July 1, the anniversary of the...
Jul 2, 2012
As of July 1, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for user”...
Jun 28, 2005
From Asia Times Online: For the hundreds of thousands of Hong Kong citizens who marched in anti-government protests during the past two years to mark the anniversary of the July 1, 1997 handover to Chinese sovereignty, the situation on this anniversary would likely have been embraced as an acceptable response to their pleas. Article 23, […]
Mar 3, 2005
From Asia Times Online: It is, on the face of it, a stunning victory for “people’s power”. Hong Kong leader Tung Chee-hwa is stepping down after a chain of events set off by an anti-government protest involving more than half a million people. In reality, however, things are not what they seem to be. Tung’s […]
CDT in the News
- Journal of Contemporary China – Invented Borders: The Tension Between Grassroots Patriotism and State-led Patriotic Campaigns in China
- NYT – A Tiananmen Square Musical Worries About China’s Glare
- Global Voices – In China, questions remain ahead of Huawei’s launch of the Mate 60 phone series
- Rest of World – Heavily persecuted, highly influential: China’s online feminist revolution
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos