As of July 2, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
- Hong Kong+seven one (香港+七一)
- Zhang Xiaoming (张晓明): Director of the Liaison Office of the Central People’s Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
- Basic Law+23 (基本法+23): If signed into law, Article 23 of the Hong Kong Basic Law would outlaw “treason” and “subversion” against the “Central People’s Government” (of mainland China). July 2003 protests forced the bill to be shelved indefinitely. “Article 23” (二十三条) was blocked from search results in July 2012.
- Basic Law+twenty-three (基本法+二十三)
Nicknames for Jiang Zemin:
- river thief (江贼): Netizens sometimes refer to former president Jiang Zemin (江泽民 Jiāng Zémín), whose given name means “benefit the people,” as 江贼民 (Jiāng Zéimín), or Jiang Betray-the-People.
- betray the people (贼民)
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words in this bilingual Google spreadsheet.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: