On July 1, weeks of secretive preparations for the Party’s centenary culminated in a massive ceremony in Tiananmen Square punctuated by a martial speech delivered by Xi Jinping. Xi warned that anyone who dare bully, oppress, or...
by Josh Rudolph | Feb 10, 2017
A “Christian theme park” in Hunan, the home province of Mao Zedong, is drawing intense...
by Josh Rudolph | Sep 6, 2013
At The Atlantic, Matt Schiavenza surveys the dynamic 60-year relationship between Beijing and...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 29, 2011
On the eve of the 90th anniversary of the Chinese Communist Party, a nostalgia for red songs is sweeping China, according to this New York Times article: China has boomed during three decades of economic reform, and has in many...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 24, 2011
As China’s socialist past is being glorified by local officials , academics, and others throughout China, the New York Times Magazine visits Nanjie Village, known as the “reddest village in China”: For 34...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods