Chinese leader Xi Jinping unexpectedly announced sweeping and potentially transformative, albeit vague, commitments to cut China’s carbon footprint last week. In an address before the United Nation’s General Assembly, Xi said,...
by Cindy | Jul 5, 2019
Zhuang Pinghui at Inkstone News reports that thousands of residents in Wuhan’s Yangluo...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 28, 2015
Wu Rongrong is a women’s rights activist who was detained for over a month along with four...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 14, 2014
Over the weekend, thousands of residents of Boluo County, Guangdong took to the streets to protest...
by Natalie Ornell | Aug 10, 2013
Founder of the Chongqing Green Volunteer League, Wu Dengming, who in his retirement organized no car days, tracked down pollution offenders, and risked his safety to film illegal logging in Sichuan forests, died at 73, according...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 6, 2013
The China Environmental Press Awards have been handed out to several Chinese journalists, including a citizen journalist who launched a campaign to challenge local officials to swim in polluted waters. From the Guardian: Against...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods