At The New Yorker, Christina Larson looks at the Chinese public’s distrust of genetically...
genetically modified food
May 16, 2014
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
Mar 7, 2014
Amid heated GMO politics and grain espionage debates, agricultural minister Han Changfu expressed...
Feb 7, 2014
After a manager at an Iowa research farm caught a group of men from China digging up the field for...
Dec 19, 2013
Reuters reports that, since mid-November, over 600,000 tons of U.S. corn shipments have been...
Sep 4, 2013
Media coverage of two recent policy actions have helped to revive public fears about GMOs in a...
Jan 15, 2009
From the Japan Focus: A recent article in Nature  asked provocatively: Is China ready for GM rice? The title reflects widely shared anxiety over genetic engineering in agriculture. The use of the term “GM” specifically...
Apr 20, 2006
China is losing arable land due to urban sprawl, construction, and “environmental” efforts to replant trees (produce lumber). Will China policy address an increasing reliance on imported grain (sans mercury) ? Is there a plan to increase agricultural efficiency(GMOs and/or pesticides via Stephen Johnson head of the U.S. E.P.A.)? One may think that the President […]
Feb 26, 2004
From Xinhuanet: “China will make sure the controversial genetically modified (GMO) crops don’t cause negative impacts on the country’s bio-environment, the Ministry of Agriculture said Wednesday. The ministry on Monday awarded its first batch of safety certificates for foreign genetically modified crops used for processing purposes in China, after a two-year period of safety assessments […]
CDT in the News
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos
- The Guardian – Chinese state media censors itself after highlighting poem about corrupt leaders
- ASPI Daily Tech and Cyber Digest – Meta’s ‘biggest single takedown’ removes Chinese influence campaign | Japan’s cyber security agency suffers months-long breach | FBI, partners dismantle Qakbot infrastructure
- Atlantic Council – Chinese discourse power: Capabilities and impact
- VOA – Chinese Social Media Platforms Fail to Control Racism Against Black People: Report