News that maligned socialite Guo Meimei admitted involvement in World Cup gambling and working as...
by Anne Henochowicz | Aug 6, 2014
反腐女战士 (fǎn-fǔ nǚ zhànshì): anti-corruption warrior princess Sarcastic title given to Guo...
by Josh Rudolph | May 21, 2013
In 2011, Guo Meimei scandalized the name of the Red Cross Society of China at a time when many were already suspicious about the humanitarian NGO’s management of funds. After the devastating 6.6Mw earthquake hit Sichuan...
by Anne Henochowicz | Apr 30, 2013
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Sichuan Propaganda Department: The media are not to independently report that the provincial Party...
by Anne Henochowicz | Apr 24, 2013
Chinese netizens have not forgotten Guo Meimei, the young woman who showed off designer handbags and flashy cars on Weibo in 2011, then claimed she was the “general manager of Red Cross commerce.” Though plagued by previous...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 22, 2013
Saturday’s 6.6Mw earthquake in Sichuan has killed 193 and injured over 12,000, but has also laid bare the extent of damage to the reputation of the Red Cross Society of China. At The New York Times, Edward Wong examined...
CDT in the News
- Human Rights Watch – Chinese Cyber Legend Vanishes, Raising Concerns
- PRI The World – Front row seat at China’s 100th anniversary celebrations
- Mind Matters – Chinese Communist Party: 100 Years of Erasing, Rewriting History
- The Jamestown Foundation – The 2021 Party History Study Campaign Stresses Revolution and Sacrifice
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’