News that maligned socialite Guo Meimei admitted involvement in World Cup gambling and working as...
by Anne Henochowicz | Aug 6, 2014
反腐女战士 (fǎn-fǔ nǚ zhànshì): anti-corruption warrior princess Sarcastic title given to Guo...
by Josh Rudolph | May 21, 2013
In 2011, Guo Meimei scandalized the name of the Red Cross Society of China at a time when many were already suspicious about the humanitarian NGO’s management of funds. After the devastating 6.6Mw earthquake hit Sichuan...
by Anne Henochowicz | Apr 30, 2013
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Sichuan Propaganda Department: The media are not to independently report that the provincial Party...
by Anne Henochowicz | Apr 24, 2013
Chinese netizens have not forgotten Guo Meimei, the young woman who showed off designer handbags and flashy cars on Weibo in 2011, then claimed she was the “general manager of Red Cross commerce.” Though plagued by previous...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 22, 2013
Saturday’s 6.6Mw earthquake in Sichuan has killed 193 and injured over 12,000, but has also laid bare the extent of damage to the reputation of the Red Cross Society of China. At The New York Times, Edward Wong examined...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods