As of August 8, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
- 郭美美＋刘: Guo Meimei + Liu
- 郭美美＋云山: Guo Meimei + Yunshan
- 郭美美＋后台: Guo Meimei + backstage [supporter]
- 郭美美＋大老虎: Guo Meimei + big tiger
- 郭美美＋领导: Guo Meimei + leader
Zhou Yongkang: One week after the central government announced its investigation of the former security czar, rumors are spreading online that he was involved in murder and extramarital affairs. The words below add to the list of Zhou-related terms blocked on Weibo.
- 13+命案: 13 + homicide case–One rumor has it that Zhou and his allies were involved in murder.
- 29+情妇: 29 + mistress
- 最高法＋腐败: Supreme Court + corrupt: On August 1, the Supreme People’s Court stated its official support for the investigation of Zhou Yongkang [Chinese].
- 吴志明＋江: Wu Zhiming + Jiang [Zemin]–Wu is Jiang Zemin’s nephew.
- 何挺: He Ting–Former Chongqing police chief Wang Lijun‘s replacement.
- 抹黑习: disgrace Xi
- 华数＋敏感画面: Wasu + sensitive screen–Wasu Media broadcasts in Zhejiang, the province where Wenzhou is located.
- 华数＋被黑: Wasu + be hacked
- 温州有线＋敏感画面: Wenzhou cable + sensitive screen
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: