Documentary film-maker Hu Jie’s body of work has focused on Party history from the 1950s to...
by Xiao Qiang | Nov 15, 2008
Duowei News journalist Wan Yizhong reports (translated by CDT): “When friends ask me to recommend some Chinese movies, I will always tell them to watch documentaries,” Beijing Film Academy professor Cui Weiping told Duowei News....
by Xiao Qiang | Feb 26, 2008
Guangzhou based journalist/blogger Zhai Minglei just published a profile of independent film maker Hu Jie on his own Yibao blog, partially translated by CDT’s Linjun Fan: Hu Jie calls himself a film laborer. He has shot a...
by Sophia Cao | Apr 4, 2007
From Letters from China: Just before the Yunnan Multi Culture Visual Festival, the Organising Committee suddenly issued a notice on 26 March saying the film festival was ordered to suspend and the committee was still...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”