In early December, President Xi Jinping declared that China had eliminated absolute poverty. His announcement was the culmination of a years-long campaign that sought to raise the annual income of every person in China’s...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 17, 2020
Bloomberg’s Sharon Chen and Dandan Li provide an overview of recent changes to China’s hukou residency permit system, which for decades has tightly controlled citizens’ rights to settle and receive public...
by Josh Rudolph | Sep 21, 2016
Following up on the central government’s earlier promises to reform the controversial hukou...
by Josh Rudolph | Feb 16, 2016
China’s State Council has unveiled a series of proposals aiming to protect the estimated 61...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 12, 2015
The deaths—by suicide, violent attack, or apparent accident—of children in rural areas have...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods