In early December, President Xi Jinping declared that China had eliminated absolute poverty. His announcement was the culmination of a years-long campaign that sought to raise the annual income of every person in China’s...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 17, 2020
Bloomberg’s Sharon Chen and Dandan Li provide an overview of recent changes to China’s hukou residency permit system, which for decades has tightly controlled citizens’ rights to settle and receive public...
by Josh Rudolph | Sep 21, 2016
Following up on the central government’s earlier promises to reform the controversial hukou...
by Josh Rudolph | Feb 16, 2016
China’s State Council has unveiled a series of proposals aiming to protect the estimated 61...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 12, 2015
The deaths—by suicide, violent attack, or apparent accident—of children in rural areas have...
CDT in the News
- Human Rights Watch – Chinese Cyber Legend Vanishes, Raising Concerns
- PRI The World – Front row seat at China’s 100th anniversary celebrations
- Mind Matters – Chinese Communist Party: 100 Years of Erasing, Rewriting History
- The Jamestown Foundation – The 2021 Party History Study Campaign Stresses Revolution and Sacrifice
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’