On July 1, weeks of secretive preparations for the Party’s centenary culminated in a massive ceremony in Tiananmen Square punctuated by a martial speech delivered by Xi Jinping. Xi warned that anyone who dare bully, oppress, or...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 29, 2013
Monday marked the 45th anniversary of the execution of Lin Zhao, a dissident who wrote criticisms of the government in her own blood while in prison. Despite her official rehabilitation in 1981, visitors to her grave have faced...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 11, 2012
At The New York Times’ Lens blog, Sim Chi Yin talks to Li Zhensheng, who worked as a photojournalist in Heilongjiang during the Cultural Revolution. Li describes how, after initially being caught up in the excitement of...
CDT in the News
- Human Rights Watch – Chinese Cyber Legend Vanishes, Raising Concerns
- PRI The World – Front row seat at China’s 100th anniversary celebrations
- Mind Matters – Chinese Communist Party: 100 Years of Erasing, Rewriting History
- The Jamestown Foundation – The 2021 Party History Study Campaign Stresses Revolution and Sacrifice
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’