In an interview with The New York Times’ Ian Johnson, sociologist Andrew G. Walder,...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 29, 2013
Monday marked the 45th anniversary of the execution of Lin Zhao, a dissident who wrote criticisms of the government in her own blood while in prison. Despite her official rehabilitation in 1981, visitors to her grave have faced...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 11, 2012
At The New York Times’ Lens blog, Sim Chi Yin talks to Li Zhensheng, who worked as a photojournalist in Heilongjiang during the Cultural Revolution. Li describes how, after initially being caught up in the excitement of...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China