On July 1, weeks of secretive preparations for the Party’s centenary culminated in a massive ceremony in Tiananmen Square punctuated by a martial speech delivered by Xi Jinping. Xi warned that anyone who dare bully, oppress, or...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 29, 2013
Monday marked the 45th anniversary of the execution of Lin Zhao, a dissident who wrote criticisms of the government in her own blood while in prison. Despite her official rehabilitation in 1981, visitors to her grave have faced...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 11, 2012
At The New York Times’ Lens blog, Sim Chi Yin talks to Li Zhensheng, who worked as a photojournalist in Heilongjiang during the Cultural Revolution. Li describes how, after initially being caught up in the excitement of...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods