Recent protests in Hong Kong against proposed extradition rules that threatened further erosion of...
by Paulina Hartono | Jul 1, 2010
China has launched CNC World, a 24-hour English news channel. From the Associated Press: China Xinhua News Network Corp. (CNC) began broadcasting its first English TV service, CNC World, around the clock on Thursday, including...
by Jonathan Ansfield | Jul 23, 2007
Word around Beijing’s CBD is that The Wall Street Journal and its publisher Dow Jones are in talks with Hexun.com about a deal to take a ten to twenty percent stake in China’s best-reputed financial news and information portal. As of last week a deal did not appear far off, two sources with ties to […]
by Xiao Qiang | Feb 23, 2007
From AP, via SanDiego.com: A media company with ties to China’s government-run Xinhua News Agency plans to raise up to $371.5 million in an initial public offering in New York, according to documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Shanghai-based Xinhua Finance Media plans to sell 23 million American depositary shares on the Nasdaq […]
by Xiao Qiang | Nov 17, 2004
From Bloomberg: “China will let foreign investors take stakes in television production companies for the first time, widening access for Viacom Inc., Walt Disney Co. and other media companies in the world’s biggest TV market by viewers. The new policy, to take effect Nov. 28, will allow foreigners to own as much as 49 percent […]
CDT in the News
- Human Rights Watch – Chinese Cyber Legend Vanishes, Raising Concerns
- PRI The World – Front row seat at China’s 100th anniversary celebrations
- Mind Matters – Chinese Communist Party: 100 Years of Erasing, Rewriting History
- The Jamestown Foundation – The 2021 Party History Study Campaign Stresses Revolution and Sacrifice
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’