May Day was conceived as a celebration of the eight-hour work day by a coalition of socialists and labor activists in fin de siècle Europe. Over a century later, Shenzhen’s Communist Party Committee commemorated May Day by...
by Grace | Sep 29, 2014
The Chinese government has designated September 30th as a national Martyrs’ Day to...
by Zhaohua Li | Dec 17, 2007
After weeks of sometimes fierce debate online, the Chinese government has finally decided to go ahead with reforms of the national holiday system. From the Associated Press: Under the changes, which start next year, the weeklong May Day vacation will be replaced by three traditional, one-day holidays: grave-sweeping day, the dragon boat festival and the […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods