Panama has cut its diplomatic relations with Taiwan to establish ties with Beijing in...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 12, 2016
The publication this month of investigations based on the so-called Panama Papers has sparked a...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 6, 2016
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Samuel Wade | Jun 14, 2013
Nicaragua’s National Assembly has, as expected, approved plans for a Chinese firm to build and run a new waterway to rival the Panama Canal. From José De Córdoba at The Wall Street Journal: Supporters of the 50-year...
by Sophie Beach | May 11, 2011
Panama is one of the few remaining countries that maintain diplomatic ties with Taipei instead of Beijing. While Beijing is usually eager to have countries switch allegiances to the mainland, officials rejected an offer from new...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 22, 2011
Recent reports of a proposed Chinese-built railway across Colombia, bypassing the Panama Canal, have prompted mixed reactions. The Financial Times noted that responses in Colombian newspaper El Tiempo were “split between...
by Kate Zhao | Dec 8, 2007
While offering Mandarin has become de rigueur in top schools throughout the U.S. and Europe, it is also apparently catching on in less likely locales. From the BBC: Panama is moving to make the teaching of Mandarin compulsory in all schools, in recognition of China’s growing importance in the world economy. …China is the biggest […]
CDT in the News
- VOA – China Media Directives Reveal Granular Detail of State Censorship
- The Jamestown Foundation – Early Warning Brief: Factional Strife Intensifies as Xi Strives to Consolidate Power
- Politico – China’s crypto ban fuels new U.S. wedge issue
- RFA – Meng Wanzhou Arrest, Return Used as Patriotic Talking Point in Chinese Schools
- Colombo Gazette – Digital autocracy in China: An appraisal