Recent months have seen increasingly sharp reprisals against prominent critics of Xi Jinping’s leadership. Law professor Xu Zhangrun was fired by Tsinghua University in mid-July after a brief detention and his earlier...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 21, 2017
The week since Nobel Peace laureate, democracy advocate, and political prisoner Liu Xiaobo died...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 21, 2015
South China Morning Post’s Keira Lu Huang highlights a pseudonymous state media commentary...
by Josh Rudolph | May 21, 2015
Overseas political news website Boxun obtained a purported memo from a telephone conference of the...
by Josh Rudolph | Jan 6, 2015
After being detained on suspicion of “picking quarrels” in October, scholar Guo...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods