Recent months have seen increasingly sharp reprisals against prominent critics of Xi Jinping’s leadership. Law professor Xu Zhangrun was fired by Tsinghua University in mid-July after a brief detention and his earlier...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 21, 2017
The week since Nobel Peace laureate, democracy advocate, and political prisoner Liu Xiaobo died...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 21, 2015
South China Morning Post’s Keira Lu Huang highlights a pseudonymous state media commentary...
by Josh Rudolph | May 21, 2015
Overseas political news website Boxun obtained a purported memo from a telephone conference of the...
by Josh Rudolph | Jan 6, 2015
After being detained on suspicion of “picking quarrels” in October, scholar Guo...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”