In partnership with the China Copyright and Media blog, CDT is adding the “Beijing Internet...
by Xiao Qiang | Sep 17, 2009
Xinhua put out a brief report in English only yesterday, but deleted the news again from its own website around 11 pm on September 16. Here is the report, archived by CDT: A man armed with a knife stabbed two people to death and...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 12, 2009
In the New York Times, Richard Bernstein takes a walk through the new Dashalan pedestrian district: But while most of the old residential areas of Beijing that have been demolished were transformed into zones of high-rise...
by Michael Zhao | Aug 8, 2007
Not your typical China demolition story. In this case, the petitioners are Chinese Australians. The question: Does it matter? From the New York Times: Beijing observed the one-year countdown to the 2008 Olympics on Wednesday night with fireworks and pageantry at a celebration in Tiananmen Square. A few blocks away, Sun Ruoyu and her sister […]
CDT in the News
- VOA – China Media Directives Reveal Granular Detail of State Censorship
- The Jamestown Foundation – Early Warning Brief: Factional Strife Intensifies as Xi Strives to Consolidate Power
- Politico – China’s crypto ban fuels new U.S. wedge issue
- RFA – Meng Wanzhou Arrest, Return Used as Patriotic Talking Point in Chinese Schools
- Colombo Gazette – Digital autocracy in China: An appraisal