On Monday, November 23 in Guiyang, the capital of Guizhou province, local officials quietly announced an extraordinary accomplishment: the end of extreme poverty in China. At The Wall Street Journal, James T. Areddy reported on...
by Cindy | Jun 17, 2013
As Beijing plans to move hundreds of millions into China’s cities, Tom Phillips reports from Lanzhou New Area, a new city under construction in Gansu province for which 700 mountains were condemned to be flattened: Its...
by Natalie Ornell | Jun 16, 2013
A New York Times video and a report by Ian Johnson state that the Chinese government plans to move 250,000,000 people from farms to housing in cities in the next 12 to 15 years with a goal to place 70% of its citizens in urban...
by Sophia Cao | Mar 13, 2009
Documentary Film Series “China from the Inside” came up with a series of films with various topics about China. In this episode “Women of the Country,” the film explores women’s current living...
by Sophia Cao | Feb 16, 2009
This documentary tells about the life of left-behind children in rural China whose parents move to the cities in search of work. These children are taken care of by their grandparents, other relatives or by themselves. Some of...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”