The AP reports that China’s National People’s Congress is likely to roll back the...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jun 13, 2014
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 17, 2013
Following a court judgment on Monday awarding damages for her wrongful incarceration in a re-education through labor camp, “petitioning mother” Tang Hui has traveled to Beijing to pursue compensation for her...
by Samuel Wade | Jul 15, 2013
Tang Hui won a court appeal on Monday in the latest chapter of a saga that began in 2006, with the kidnapping, rape and beating of her then 11-year-old daughter. Two men were subsequently sentenced to death, four to life in...
by Scott Greene | Jan 8, 2013
The Chinese government will pursue reforms to its Re-education Through Labor (RTL) system, according to a report in Xinhua News which followed a national political and legal work conference in Beijing on Monday. From the...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods