When Lieutenant-Colonel Mamady Doumbouya staged a military coup and detained Guinean President Alpha Condé on September 5, officials in Beijing were not pleased. The small West African country plays a crucial role in China’s...
by Samuel Wade | Jun 29, 2016
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Samuel Wade | Jun 18, 2014
Li Keqiang’s three-day visit to the U.K. got into full swing on Tuesday, with the Chinese premier meeting both the Queen and his British counterpart David Cameron. Deals and declarations were announced, covering trade...
by Samuel Wade | Dec 19, 2013
News came on Wednesday of Max Baucus’ selection—pending senate approval—to succeed departing...
by Josh Rudolph | Apr 14, 2013
On a weeklong trade mission to China, California Governor Jerry Brown is seeking to promote Chinese investment in the U.S. state’s enormous but struggling economy, and Chinese media has been taking note. On Friday in...
by Melissa M. Chan | Feb 17, 2013
According to Reuters, North Korea has told China that it is prepared to stage one or two more nuclear tests this year. This information emerged after China’s condemnation of North Korea’s underground nuclear tests....
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods