This week, Xi Jinping traveled to Central Asia in his first trip abroad in over two and a half years. On Wednesday, he visited Kazakhstan, and on Thursday and Friday he visited Uzbekistan to attend the summit of the Shanghai...
Oct 28, 2013
Xi Jinping’s recent trip to Central Asia marked a watershed moment in China’s pivot to...
Oct 2, 2013
In the past three months alone, China has spent over US$50 billion on energy and infrastructure...
Sep 12, 2013
Chinese president Xi Jinping has inked several large energy deals in Central Asia this week to...
Dec 12, 2009
President Hu Jintao is in Central Asia celebrating the opening of a gas pipeline that run from Turkmenistan through Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan to Xinjiang. BBC reports: Mr Hu and Mr Nazarbayev together pressed a symbolic button...
Apr 23, 2006
From The Washington Post (link): In years past, the Chinese government’s poor human rights record was only a problem for you if you happened to be Chinese. But as China’s power and influence in Asia grow, its hostility toward human rights is becoming a problem for non-Chinese, too. Propelled mostly by economic opportunism, China is […]
May 25, 2005
From The New York Times: China honored Islam A. Karimov, the president of Uzbekistan, with a 21-gun salute and a private meeting with President Hu Jintao on Wednesday, courting him shortly after his army led a violent crackdown on dissent. The meeting underscored China’s emphasis on maintaining stability on its Western border and supporting leaders […]
CDT in the News
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos
- The Guardian – Chinese state media censors itself after highlighting poem about corrupt leaders
- ASPI Daily Tech and Cyber Digest – Meta’s ‘biggest single takedown’ removes Chinese influence campaign | Japan’s cyber security agency suffers months-long breach | FBI, partners dismantle Qakbot infrastructure
- Atlantic Council – Chinese discourse power: Capabilities and impact
- VOA – Chinese Social Media Platforms Fail to Control Racism Against Black People: Report