As Southeast Asian countries continue to face a severe drought amid an extreme El Niño event,...
by Anne Henochowicz | Nov 18, 2012
In partnership with the China Copyright and Media blog, CDT is adding the “Beijing Internet...
by Samuel Wade | Jan 4, 2011
Chinese authorities have acknowledged that, while progress has been made in recent years, securing the country against encroaching deserts may take centuries. From Jonathan Watts in The Guardian: China has gained a sliver of...
by Sophie Beach | Dec 30, 2008
Authorities are implementing a four-year delay in the south-north water diversion project amid environmental concerns. The Wall Street Journal reports: The total project, at an estimated $62 billion, is expected to cost nearly...
by Japhet Weeks | May 19, 2008
Yingling Liu writes in the online magazine Worldchanging about the need to create a market for water rights in China (h/t The New Republic): In recent years, scarcity and pollution of water have become the paramount...
by Julie Johnson | Feb 10, 2008
From Science News: China may be forced to increase its food imports as the country’s growing population continues to demand more water-intensive foods. Junguo Liu, an environmental scientist at the Swiss Federal Institute of...
by Michael Zhao | Dec 21, 2007
An interesting point on a personal level in helping fight global warming. Translated by CDT from China Youth Daily: With the rising divorce rate, China may soon become another target of finger pointing from the developed world when it comes to the global warming talks, and this one may seem light years away from any […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China