A suicide bombing in a rural Guangdong village left five dead and five injured on Monday, March 22. A swiftly imposed media blackout left details of the incident vague but it seems that the attacker, a 59-year-old local, was...
by Cindy | Nov 12, 2017
Wukan, once hailed as China’s “democracy village,” has become a site of intense...
by Samuel Wade | Dec 27, 2016
The Guangdong village of Wukan won global fame and some democratic concessions in 2011 when...
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 6, 2016
Five years after protests against the official seizure of public land led to local...
by Josh Rudolph | Jun 20, 2016
In September of 2011, villagers in Wukan, Guangdong, launched an anti-corruption protest after...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods