The following examples of censorship instructions, issued to the media and/or Internet companies by various central (and sometimes local) government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Chinese journalists and bloggers often refer to those instructions as “Directives from the Ministry of Truth.” CDT has collected the selections we translate here from a variety of sources and has checked them against official Chinese media reports to confirm their implementation.
Shanghai: netizen Xia Shang
From the Propaganda Department of the Shanghai Municiple Party Committee: a certain netizen, Xia Shang, has claimed online that he will take part in the National People’s Congress election. No news unit will interview this person, report or propagate [the story]. Journalists will have no contact with this person.
State Information Office: Professor Zhao Shilin’s public letter
From the State Information Office: websites in all regions will immediately find and delete Central Ethnicity University Professor Zhao Shilin’s blog entry: “An open letter to the Chinese Communist Party and central government regarding the Chinese Communist Party’s 90th Anniversary propaganda problem.”
State Information Office: “Cherishing Chiang Kai-shek”
From the State Information Office: All websites, especially interactive links, will immediately delete the article “Cherishing Chiang Kai-shek” and all related commentary.
Central Propaganda Department: “Beginning of the Great Revival”
From the Central Propaganda Department: during the special period of welcoming the Party’s 90 anniversary, no media outlets will report or render negative opinion or news regarding the movie “Beginning of the Great Revival.”
Central Propaganda Department: “Lecture on Party History Knowledge”
From the Central Propaganda Department: will all news websites attach Central Party School Professor Xie Chuntao’s “Lecture on Party History Knowledge” lecture No. 7: “Establishing Goals for the Socialist Market Economy System,” to the news section on homepages. Keep it there until the release of lecture No. 8.
Jilin province: matters concerning Jinhu Tires Changchun factory strike
From the Propaganda Department of Jilin Provicial Party Committee: on matters concerning Jinhu Tires Changchun factory strike, local media cannot report as they like before getting approval. News on the resumption of work will be uniformly reported.
Central Propaganda Department: the collective complaint against Yili Company
From the Central Propaganda Department: temporarily stop reporting on the online collective complaint against Yili Company. Immediately remove articles already reported.
State Information Office: matters concerning outrage over the Zengcheng, Guangdong province pregnant woman who was beaten
State Information Office: all websites will thoroughly clear all news concerning the outrage over the pregnant woman who was beaten in Zengcheng, Guangdong. Close all blog accounts that are conducting on-the-scene broadcasts. Thoroughly clear online forums.
Zhengzhou, Henan province: ceasing all negative media reporting in the province
A notice from the Propaganda Department of Zhengzhou Municipal Party Committee, Henan province:
1. Highlights for next week, June 13 – 17, a joint research group of national ministries will come to Henan to conduct research. Of the eight groups conducting research, three will come to Zhengzhou. They will primarily focus on surveying the Central Plain’s economic development during the last period, and will be controlled by Secretary Lu. No media are permitted to report on the two welcoming banquets or the proposal for a meeting between representatives of the National People’s Congress and the Development and Reform Commission. In order to produce a pleasant atmosphere, the provincial propaganda department has explicitly ordered that while the research group is in Henan, all negative reporting will cease in the province. In regard to the research group’s activities in the region, publish only this news.
2. The 2011 National Safe Production Tour will be held in Henan June 15 – 24. When this research group is in Henan, no media will report on the hidden ailments of the mining industry or other such problems.
3. During the 60th anniversary of Tibet’s peaceful liberation, all media will report according to the central government’s mainstream reports. Carry out reproduction of the news as a group.
When reporting, pay attention to the following:
1. The provincial health department’s press release is the standard for all provincial news on epidemics.
2. Media will do absolutely no interviewing and no reporting on land disputes near the education office at the Zijin Mountain overpass.
3. In regards to Henan’s Chengtai Investment Co Ltd. illegal fundraising, even the Secretary has instructed that city-level media can carry out positive propaganda on small- and medium-sized investment companies. The contact person at the Bureau of Small- and Medium-sized Corporations is Chief Huang: 13643826623.
4. “Leaving Zhenzhou to See the Nation” will be published soon. Will all media choose photos and send them to zzxwcbc@163.
5. All media will continue to conduct the secret investigation on the food safety problem, producing two reports per week in the form of reference documents for leaders. Send them to the news office’s mailbox.
6. All city-level media will not report on matters concerning the Deng Feng Hao Management Committee.
7. All media will not follow up on matters concerning the explosion at the police bureau’s dangerous products storage facility.
Central Propaganda Department: Xu Wu release
From the Central Propaganda Department: Media will not speculate about matters regarding the release [from a mental hospital] of the worker Xu Wu from Wugang, Hubei. Xinhua News Agency and The Hubei Daily will be the standard for all reports.
Central Propaganda Department: independent candidates taking part in election
From the Central Propaganda Department: so called “independent candidates taking part in elections” is a political matter manipulated by the international anti-China force. No media are allowed to report on the election activities of Li Chengpeng and others.
Central Propaganda Department: Li Na’s win
From the Central Propaganda Department: do not continue hype Li Na’s [tennis championship] win.