As of July 17, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for user” function):
Fury on Mount Baekdu: Visitors were barred from ascending the mountain on July 15 while Beijing Party Committee Secretary Liu Qi toured scenic Heaven Lake at the top. Stranded tourists blocked the road down the mountain, demanding an apology and a refund. They got their money back, but nothing else.
- Liu Qi + Changbaishan (刘淇+长白山): Changbaishan is also known as Mount Baekdu.
- Liu Qi + Jilin (刘淇+吉林): Mount Baekdu straddles Jilin Province and North Korea.
- Liu Qi + encircle (刘淇+围堵)
- Liu Qi + close off a mountain (刘淇+封山)
- Heaven Lake (天池)
- Wen + Premier (温+总理): Wen Jiabao
- Ji County (蓟县): Site of the June 30 Tianjin mall fire. Netizens have questioned the official death toll of 10, but authorities continue to hide details of the incident. China Media Project reports on a thwarted effort to produce a Weibo “microfilm” with cell phone footage from the disaster.
Note: All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.