Chinese state media reported last week that Beijing’s subway system will soon use facial recognition technology to classify and divide passengers into groups for different security screenings. The news was announced at the end...
by Natalie Ornell | Jun 6, 2014
Following a series of deadly attacks attributed to Uyghur extremists, 81 people in China have been...
by Samuel Wade | May 15, 2014
While Chinese sites are scrubbed of posts on anti-Chinese riots in Vietnam and pre-Tiananmen...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jul 23, 2012
The following examples of censorship instructions, issued to the media and/or Internet companies...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China