“20021” may look like a random string of numbers or a mangled date, but many Weibo users know it as a sign that they are being blocked from posting “sensitive” content. Telegram user @cybergraveyardcn (简中赛博坟场)...
by Josh Rudolph | Mar 13, 2020
Real estate tycoon turned commentator Ren Zhiqiang, known as “the Cannon” for his online outspokenness, was one of the few liberal “Big V” microbloggers remaining on Weibo after a 2013 rumor crackdown...
by Josh Rudolph | Aug 13, 2015
Earlier this month, an avowed member of the volunteer fifty cent party took to China’s...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 22, 2015
At China Real Time, Josh Chin reports on liberal businessman Wang Gongquan’s public...
by Josh Rudolph | Oct 16, 2014
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Josh Rudolph | Oct 10, 2014
At Reuters, Paul Carsten reports that China’s Supreme People’s Court this week issued...
CDT in the News
- VOA – China Media Directives Reveal Granular Detail of State Censorship
- The Jamestown Foundation – Early Warning Brief: Factional Strife Intensifies as Xi Strives to Consolidate Power
- Politico – China’s crypto ban fuels new U.S. wedge issue
- RFA – Meng Wanzhou Arrest, Return Used as Patriotic Talking Point in Chinese Schools
- Colombo Gazette – Digital autocracy in China: An appraisal